If you need to put some “hip” into your dental offices HIPAA Compliance, listen up! HIPAA law all changed as of September 23, 2013. The government took 500 pages of HIPAA that existed in January of 2012— added 80 more pages and combined the two sets to create the new HIPAA Omnibus Rules. These new HIPAA mandates were due to be functioning within all USA healthcare facilities by September 23, 2013. Here is what is important:
1. A HIPAA Manual—written to the new Omnibus Rule standard.
2. Proof-of-Employee Training— a training session with particular components needs to be presented to each employee and all employees need to sign-off that they were trained.
3. Employee Confidentiality Agreements—these need to be kept on file for each employee too.
4. Business Vendor Confidentiality Agreements—Business Vendors who “see or use your Patient PHI” need to sign these agreements to protect your patient’s PHI.
5. New Patient Paperwork
6. New Business Protocols with regards to handling Patient Protected Health Information (PHI).
7. New protocols for handling PHI within your computer systems and email—A good HIPAA training company will interface with your IT tech or Dental software company on this one.
8. New Requirements to Upgrade Microsoft XP to more current HIPAA supported versions.
9. New Breach Reporting Protocols—you need to know how to handle accidental or misguided mis-use of patient PHI and how to report it promptly.
10. New Daily Data Back-Up Requirements—again you will need some interface with your IT Tech or dental software company for this one. HIPAA Training coaches or your dental supplier can also help explain these requirements.
Is your head spinning right about now? It should be! The Omnibus Rules are pretty intense. So are the fines for non-compliance (ranging from $10,000 – $1.5M)
What is an Omnibus anyway? By definition “omnibus” means “previous published parts combined to create a new volume”. Funny enough comic book series are written and republished in this fashion. But, truly, this is no joke! The new HIPAA Omnibus Rules (also referred to as “the Final Rule”) are pretty serious. If you need help wrapping your head around all of this, be sure to choose a compliance company that offers a Complete HIPAA Training Solution.
One that offers: training , paperwork, electronic versions of required forms, new HIPAA manual written to the new Final Rule Standard and guided help if you need it.
A great comprehensive training package that will give you everything you need and help you breathe a sigh of relief (as you can speak directly with a HIPAA exert as you implement this stuff) is crucial!
Get “hip” to the new HIPAA Omnibus Rules. The risk for non-compliance is just too costly.
Written by Jill Obrochta & Heather Whitt of Dental Enhancements.